Golf & Life Skills
Since our founding in 1994, we have used the game of golf to engage youth and help develop the character they need to be successful. We couple golf instruction with a curriculum designed by First Tee that teaches kids life skills – like how to introduce yourself to someone new or what to do when you get angry or frustrated – and core values like respect and honesty. Our team of PGA members and apprentices offer classes after school and on weekends at our par-3, 6-hole Honors Course presented by TaylorMade (Oceanside) and par-3, 18-hole Colina Park Golf Course (City Heights).
Pro Kids Members (ages 7-17 years old) are introduced to our program through a leveling system based on their golf skills ability and age requirements. Our junior members start in Level 1 (ages 7-8 years old) where they are taught the basics of the golf swing and learn important life skills through situational experiences on the golf course and practice area. Junior member advancement involves a series of skills challenges, written tests, and learning the game of golf with core values. Learning the game of golf takes time, years of practice and on course experiences. Our qualified golf instruction team has developed a comprehensive certification program that ensures all members achieve their goals and establishes checkpoints that take them to the next level.
To keep everyone safe and healthy, COVID-19 regulated classes will look a little different:
- Each participant must wear a mask while on campus
- Personal golf clubs are highly recommended (clubs will be supplied if needed)
- Participants are encouraged to bring a water bottle; water fountains are not available
At Pro Kids we aim to provide a quality golf and life skills program for our members. For that reason, we ask that your family commit to the following:
- If a member is signed up for golf class and unable to attend, we require a 24 hour cancelation policy. You can notify us by emailing or calling the front desk or program director.
- The beginning part of golf class is the most important. Our coaches cover the golf and life skill of the day and explain safety precautions and other best practices during the lesson. Members are required to be at their golf class on time in order to participate and receive credit for the class; parking may be difficult so please plan accordingly. If you are more than five minutes late, your child’s spot in class may filled with someone from the waitlist. PLEASE CALL THE FRONT DESK IF YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE SO THEIR SPOT WILL REMAIN RESERVED.
- On the first unexcused absence, the member will receive a warning. If there is a second unexcused absence, the member will not be allowed to sign up for the following month’s golf class.
- Any child who is more than 10 minutes late will not be allowed to join golf class without following the above guidelines.
- For City Heights Pro Kids members: Please remember to book a tee time by calling the Pro Shop at 619-582-7884 when taking your child to play at Colina Park. Due to the high volume of public play, you are not guaranteed a tee time if you walk in without a reservation.
- One family member per child is eligible to receive complimentary tee times and range balls with an active Pro Kids membership.
Registering for Classes
Classes will have a limited player capacity which means classes will fill up quickly. Please only register your child if you are certain they will attend. If your child is unable to attend after registering, please let Pro Kids know immediately so that the spot becomes available for another member.
All Pro Kids programs including golf classes require pre-registration and are filled on a first come, first served basis. Due to the high demand of our programs, we recommend that you sign up early. All members must sign up through the Membership Portal, membership payments do not guarantee a spot in any program.
End of the Month Tournaments
Pro Kids Members only! Like any men’s or ladies’ club, Pro Kids hosts monthly events for its junior members (Levels 2-7). Formats vary each month but include: Stroke Play, Match Play Championships, Scramble, and Best Ball. Other fun formats include the Scotland Open, Trivia Scramble, and Colina Country Club. Staff use a handicap system to facilitate tournaments with several flights of ability. This system allows players of every skill level to participate by placing them in groups where they compete with members of similar ability.
SCGA Junior Golf Pass
This program allows our members to play and access Southern California executive and regulation courses at discounted rates. Pro Kids Members that are par certified (Level 2) are matched with adult mentors or escorts to play local area courses. Tee times are arranged by our staff and are made available to students during school holidays and vacations. Birdie certified (Level 5) members can play any Youth on Course golf course unsupervised. Junior Golf Pass is an SCGA Foundation program.
Already a Pro Kids Member? Use one of the buttons below to visit your home course’s calendar and select the programming you wish to attend.